Monday, June 23, 2008

Best Professor...Ever.


Dr. Paul Menzer teaches Shakespeare at the University of North Texas. I had the outstanding opportunity to take two of his classes within the same semester, and it was my favorite semester out of the entire four years. Before I present to you a profound Menzer quote, let me give you my top five reasons for lovin' this guy:

1. He reminds me of Hugh Grant, without the accent.
2. He makes puns and jokes with students' names upon having them introduce themselves to the class. (i.e. girl introduced herself as Natalie and claimed she hated to be called Nat...for the rest of the year, she was known as "Not Nat".)
3. He drinks, or did at the time, espresso from a little cup, never sure quite how to hold it.
4. He's brilliant and hilarious.
5. I took his classes four years ago and still talk about him.

Famous Menzer Quote: "Shakespeare is like sex. All your life you hear about how great it is and then the first time you're all like 'this is it?', and you're confused and looking up words... but over time it gets better and better."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*sighs*

Menzer is awesome. There's something terribly wonderful about that professor, and I am SO glad to have stumbled upon this note.

I will confess that I still have all my syllabus papers and all the reviewed papers he ever turned back to me.

HE is the sort of teacher who makes a difference.

(And I think he does have a bit of an accent. I never could pin it down, though.... and after a while, it didn't matter, just so long as he kept talking. The things that man would say! He's stunningly brilliant!)