Tuesday, August 12, 2008

'Nim's Island'


[pic from Gerard Butler website]
is an absolute delightful and visually stunning film. Abigail Breslin is a sweetie and who can't watch 90 minutes of Gerard Butler, a.k.a. buff Spartan from '300' or Scottish cutie from 'P.S. I Love You'?! Jodie Foster has always been one of my favs, and she plays a very sympathetic agorophobic author of adventure books. The movie is told in a storybook narrative with Breslin as the narrator. It's hard to explain, but the graphics, with scenes changing from storybook-like illustrations to real life, were great! The colors were vivid and the whimsical look and feel of the movie are at the forefront of the movie's appeal for me. Not to mention, Fred, the lizard, reminded me of Ella...and she's a cool little girl, and would not be offended by the reference if she were old enough to understand it!! Although it may not have won any fancy-schmancy awards, it's a great film to watch with the kiddos, or without. Rent, download, or Netflix...however you choose to obtain cinema magic, this one's worth the watch:)

1 comment:

whoa said...

WOW, finally a movie the whole family can watch. Jodie Foster is wonderful as always. She has come a long way since 'Little Foxes.' I am not sure there is a movie that I don't like from her. The kiddos loved Nim's and so did I. I hope to see more movies like this one in the future.