Monday, August 11, 2008

Whatta Weekend


The weekend started out wonderfully. We picked up Josh's little girl, my "bonus" daughter, Taylor on Saturday, and she's staying the week with us. Saturday evening we bought a new car that I get to drive every day when Josh goes back to Alaska...I'm soooo excited and thankful:) BUT, while getting ready for church on Sunday morning, little Ella pulled my hair straightener down on her arm. She received 2nd degree burns, and we took her to the ER immediately of course. She is doing fine...acting like her abundantly sweet self. The only difference is the bandage on her uber-owie. The nursing staff and doctor at Wise Regional were great with her. Josh took her to her pediatrician...the wonderful Dr. Lovette, today, and we're going to keep an eye on it, obviously to assess whether or not there may be nerve damage. I pray that there's not. So, to all out there with little children running around the house...keep those heated hair tools far, far away. It seems like a "duh" thing, I know, but we were standing right next to her and obviously didn't think that would happen. Now, we'll be that much more vigilant.

5 comments:

Gator said...

That's aweful and I'm so sorry to hear about your little one...I hope her owie gets better very soon. Those flat irons are some dangerous things.

Anonymous said...

For such a sweet girl, lots of crazy things happen to you.

lovelit said...

Thanks, gator. As of today the burn looks much better. I'm taking her back to the Dr. on Monday for a checkup...hopefully we're out of the woods.

9:23...thank you, and tell me about it!!:)

Kathleen... said...

'Lit, this sort of stuff just happens...and Little Ones are incredibly resilient in the healing department -- I hope you're not beating yourself up?!

When my sweet Girl was just under 2, we had Moving Day to the current house. My husband had brought a cup of coffee to me in the old house's master bathroom. He put it on the counter, I turned to pack another box and my daughter came in behind me...she pulled the mug off the counter, splashing scalding hot coffee down onto her neck and upper torso. Her screams are something I'll never forget. I immediately threw her under cold shower water, and we then bundled her off to the ER. She had terrible burns that were treated with salves, antibiotics and bandages. We had to retreat the burns every so many hours, and were told she'd probably have some sort of scarring.

Sweet Little Darling....she was so good, so patient, so kind in the presence of remorseful We-Felt-Responsible parents. God is good and children are miracle muffins; she has no scars. =)

Anonymous said...

I hope your daughter is better soon! I also love Dr Lovette! She is absolutely wonderful!!