Sunday, November 16, 2008

For Those That Pray...


I won't get preachy, and I'll try to stay off the soap box, HOWEVER, this town, county, state, country, and world needs to start and/or keep praying hard for our youth. As a teacher, and a fairly new one at that, I admit that I get "beat" down...seriously...by the teenage drama, attitudes and, at times, downright disrespect coming from some of them. But, then I talk to them, hear their stories, and although not a foolproof excuse to "act a fool" as some say, many of these kids have it rough. Why does the young man who can only think of getting out of school to work care one stinkin' iota about the literature that I try to get him excited about? He may enjoy a story or two, but he couldn't care less about literary elements or connections through centuries and genres; Edgar Allan Poe-lease...ya know? Then there are those who have experiences beyond their years; I worry about these kids. I pray for these kids, and I hope our nation wakes up...soon!!! Why do all of them need to be college bound?...what if they WANT to just work? They know there are options out there for them, but some do not want to go to college, and some will do just fine without it. But every student will not graduate with a perfect GPA, go off to college, begin a great career, and lovingly thank their past educators for inspiring and motivating them, and THAT'S GOTTA BE OK!!! My job as a teacher is to know and teach my content area and try to instill a bit of learning passion and reinforce life skills along the way. But what would be wrong with adopting an educational system of choice? When a student reaches 16, they choose...college or technical/workforce. My mind has been bogged down with worries and frustrations regarding the seemingly lacking system. I hate to tell ya, W., but sooo many kids are getting left behind due to being pulled kicking and screaming from one grade to the next. All I can say...again...for those that pray...do so tonight, today, right now; something's gotta give.

So, I may have avoided the preaching, but the soap box lost some paint on that one.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i completely agree. my mom is a 3rd grade teacher and she says the same exact thing.

betty boop said...

Well said and oh so true...

Denney Crane said...

Kudos to this post!

Anonymous said...

I agree, all we do is dilute the college experience when we insist that everyone should go. I believe New Hampshire is starting a new program based on the European model, where kids can graduate at 16, or stay in for the college track. We all need plumbers!

The greatest gift is to instill a love of learning in your children. When you can't do that, at least teach them HOW to learn...a basic skill that seems to elude most 20-somethings these days. OPEN A BOOK!

Anonymous said...

A good start would be to eliminate or reorganize the TEA. I personally know of several deplorable educators and administrators who should have been jailed for their various actions, but were "promoted" to a high paying position with TEA, and are now in charge of very important decision-making.

Screwballs creating screwy programs.....we can all see how successful their ideas/programs are. NOT!

I also think instead of TAKS testing (or whatever the hell it is called these days) should be complimented with aptitude testing, probably around the start of junior high, to help students learn and understand their life choices.......vocational courses should have as much importance as academic courses.

The world needs mechanics, welders, drafters, etc., as much as they need scientists and mathmagicians, and not everyone can or wants to be a scientist or a mathmagician.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful you are a teacher in DISD.

Anonymous said...

"teenage drama, attitudes and, at times, downright disrespect coming from some of them" Funny, how you act like you discovered something new. Hun, it's been going on for years. Sure, times have changed, etc. but all in all it's still the same.

You also need to accept the fact that not everyone is interested in Edgar Allan Poe, etc. and it's not going to be something that matters in one's life later one unless they choose a career that it is part of.

I've come to realize as well as many others that half of the things that are taught in school are a waist of time. In all reality, schools should spend more time preparing children for actual life.

Kristen said...

The teachers at the elementary level feel your pain! If we could only meet kids where they are...help them develop interests...guide them to believe in their own talents...but instead, we have taken art, foreign language, and even science out of the daily curriculum. If I was a kid in school today, I would be a behavior problem too!

Kathleen... said...

What an amazing post, 'Lit. I hate to hear of the disheartened stress you feel, but I'm gratified to hear that I'm not deluded on my end as well. I resolutely refuse to "have the kids tested" for the Gifted & Talented program...mine already are gifted and talented in low-stress 6, 8 and 9 year old living. The push, push, push scares the hell out of me. What happens when my future 6th grader screeches, "I can't take it anymore!" or my son says, "You know what? I don't CARE!" They happily make straight A's at present, but I'm just grateful, not expectant.

Driving them into educational beat-down is not an option. They'll be successes in my book by growing up with strong characters, full of integrity and a dignified sense of pride & responsibility. Doctor, engineer, teacher, housewife, accountant, trucker, sales exec., police officer....writer, firefighter....computer My programmer.....etc., etc.

People should never, ever just become a statistic. Stat.'s are figures on paper....I know that my Little People are so much more than mere figures.

Thanks for being such a wonderful woman and educator. Your students are lucky to have you & we're lucky to "know" you. =)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

lovelit said...

Anon 3:07; I rarely comment back, but you may have missed the point of my post. And spellcheck is never a "waste" of time; I'm just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Yep...3:07, you are WAYYYYYY out of your league here. Also, it's "Hon" not "hun."