Thursday, April 23, 2009

Twilight Re-Illuminated


I blogged a while back about watching the movie, Twilight, and I believe I unfairly judged its characters based on their cinematic representation. I only read 8 or so of the 24 chapters before I cheated and viewed the film. I know better, as I am thoroughly convinced that one's own imagination and connection with characters can never be lived up to or satisfactorily portrayed on the big screen, and therefore "cheating" taints some of the personal treasures gained when reading; those connections, parallels, and yes, even relationships that we form, unform, and reform with characters. And thank God we all have the ability to imagine differently.

As I'm getting further into the book I am reminded of Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers. The family feud between the Montagues and Capulet's mirrors that of the Cold Ones and Quileutes, with Jacob being somewhat like Bella's sweeter Tybalt and Edward's siblings acting as his collective Mercutio. Meyer alludes to classic literature often, as Bella tends to be an academic, reading Shakespeare and Austen on the weekends. I look forward to piecing together the puzzle; who says teen lit can't be academic?

2 comments:

So Sassy said...

I still think Bella is a weak female. She should have just used her feminine wiles on Edward...for her to have to wait four long books to get any relief for the sexual tension is just waaaaayyy too long. LOL!

lovelit said...

We and our need for instant gratification!!!

But I hear ya! My class is to Ch. 12 now, and they're becoming bored with Bella's enamored state. I think they're hoping for violence soon...amongst the vampires, not between Bella and Ed...hehe.