Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Should Be Studying Right About Now...


[pic]
but I'm blogging and reading other's blogs (not sure if that apostrophe is in the right place). Anyway, I started a unit on transcendentalism with my juniors today, and I'm loving it...nature, creativity, imagination, and truth; such an uplifting study compared to Of Mice and Men and The Crucible (both magnificent in their own ways, but depressing nonetheless). Below are some quotes from the philosophying father of American transcendentalism, Ralph Waldo Emerson. I dare you not to ponder, smile, and be uplifted:)

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say."

"The ancestor of every action is a thought."

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…"

"None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone."

"Trust your instinct to the end, though you can render no reason."

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons."

[more Emerson quotes]

2 comments:

Ms. Lester said...

Yes, dear. The apostrophe is in the right place. Show's possession. (Did I spell that right?)

Thanks for the Emerson quotes. They put things in perspective.

an Donalbane said...

I differ vis-à-vis the apostrophe.
Inasmuch as I assume the others are plural, the little punctuation device would follow, not precede, the s, to form the possessive.

But hey, I went to school a long time ago...