Monday, June 8, 2009

Hydrangea Help


I've planted lotsa flowers this year, and they're doing well, although, I can tell they're slouching just a bit since June has finally started feeling like June. I have begonias, imapatiens, caladiums, and various other partial shade loving plants.

I need some advice, though. I tried hydrangeas for the first time in a large planter in my front yard, which faces the south, I believe. They were looking exquisite until today. They look as if they've bowed their flowery heads and are looking to give it up. They are, or were, beautiful shades of light blues and greens. Does anyone know why they may be drooping?

My husband's grandmother says they should be planted on the north side of the house, so I moved them to the backyard this evening. I'm hoping that does the trick, but any other suggestions are more than welcome...Anobiter??? Ever grown hydrangeas?

6 comments:

Epic_Life said...

My 95 year old mother-in-law (a gardening maven) says north side of the house and an acidic soil.

Anonymous said...

To hot on the south side.

Anonymous said...

I have tried those and they are hard to grow. They need lots of acid in the soil. They grow well in East Texas where the soil is sandy and has lots of acid. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

If you want them to stay blue, they must have acidic soil. I have only been able to grow them under pine trees, in (very little) morning sun.

lovelit said...

Thank y'all for the tips!! I planted them in MiracleGro flower/vegetable potting mix from Lowe's, probably not acidic enough, huh? What could I add to the soil to up the acidity?

I moved them to the back, and they have perked up a bit, but they're not looking as good as day 1 yet.

Epic_Life said...

My M-I-L says add sulfur to acidify the soil.