Monday, June 16, 2008

Mark Twain


was the pseudonym for Samuel Clemens, whose output of quality, hilarious and poignant literature is extensive as well as, I believe, timeless. You know that question, if you could have dinner with any person, dead or alive...? My answer would definitely include Twain...we would've gotten along. Below is a handful of his quotes; some I knew, others I did not. Regardless, they still made me think and smile.


- "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge."

- "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it."

- "I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position."

- "It is easier to stay out than get out."

- "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

- "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

- "The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

- "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."

2 comments:

Kathleen... said...

Hear, hear!!! =D I do love an intellectual who's gifted in common sense. It's so rare. Mark Twain rocks!

Anonymous said...

How timely is the last one? Especially considering the internets. I'd never heard that one.