Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Let's Talk About Lit



My sophomore classes began reading "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd this week. I spoke of it a bit this past summer after reading it and was elated when my department chair informed me we were going to teach it this year...woohoo. I have students coming to class asking if we CAN read today? There's just something really special about hearing students laugh, sigh and "oh, gross" when reading a book. Some of them are also quite angry at the book's antagonist, T.Ray; we've only gotten through Chapter 1, and they hate him....I LOVE it!

In my junior classes, we're reading Arthur Miller's "The Crucible"...less enthusiasm amongst the students despite the play brimming with an adulterous, heretical theme. Many innocent people are sent to jail and face possible execution due to the absurd antics of a lovelorn teenager; what's not to love?

P.S. Am I the only one living who didn't know that Arthur Miller was at one time married to Marilyn Monroe? Also, Miller's daughter, Rebecca is now married to Daniel Day-Lewis...yes, the thespian who plays John Proctor in the movie version of the play; again, what's not to love?

3 comments:

Ryan said...

The Crucible has to be my favorite required when I was in High School.

Anonymous said...

Your department chair will do anything to keep you happy and employed...she thinks you are an outstanding teacher and a breath of fresh air!!! ;o)

lovelit said...

Awww, yoda, a nice comment that was:)